From the Nazca Lines and the heights of Incan archaeology to the beach at Ipanema, this 45-day long tour provides limitless opportunities for adventure. Explore the wetlands of the Pantanal, thundering Iguassu Falls and the bizarre landscape of the Uyuni Salt Flats. In the thin air of the Andes, trek the challenging Inca Trail to legendary Machu Picchu—we run our own treks and ensure quality food and equipment, leaving you to focus on your next exhilarating step forward. With local transportation and authentic accommodation, this trip offers an intense blend of included activities and free time to explore on your own. This trip has it all!
Day 1 Lima
Arrive at any time.
Day 2 Pisco
Explore Lima before catching a bus to Pisco, renowned for its local drink, the Pisco Sour. Enjoy Peruvian cuisine.
Day 3-4 Nazca
Optional visit to Ballestas Islands before travelling to Nazca. Guided tour of Nazca desert cemetery and potter’s studio. Optional flight over the Nazca Lines before the night bus to Arequipa.
Day 5-7 Arequipa/Chivay/Colca Canyon
Free day in Arequipa. Optional visit to the Catalina Convent, while in Chivay choose to spend time in local hot springs. On Day 7, enjoy a guided tour of Colca Canyon to spot condors, then return to Arequipa for the night.
Day 8 Cusco
Fly to Cusco. Free afternoon to explore.
Day 9 Sacred Valley/Ollantaytambo (1L)
Full-day guided tour of the Sacred Valley and Ollantaytambo ruins along with a visit to a Planeterra-supported women’s weaving project in a local community. Visit the Planeterra-supported Sacred Valley Community Restaurant in Huchuy Qosco, an indigenous village for lunch. Shopping opportunities at a local market.
Day 10-13 Inca Trail to Machu Picchu (3B,3L,3D)
4-day guided Inca Trail hike with visit to Machu Picchu. Planeterra-supported handmade biodegradable soap products for use on the Inca Trail. Optional visit to the Inca Bridge before returning to Cusco.
Day 14-16 Cusco
Free time to explore Cusco or relax. Active options include whitewater rafting, horseback riding and mountain biking.
Day 17 Puno
Travel day by bus from Cusco to Puno.
Day 18-19 Lake Titicaca (1B,1L,1D)
Visit to the floating islands of Uros and guided tour of Taquile Island on Lake Titicaca. Optional visit to Sillustani burial site.
Day 20-21 La Paz
Travel by bus and cross the border into Bolivia, arriving at La Paz. Optional excursion to the Valley of the Moon or explore the city’s winding streets and lively markets.
Day 22 Uyuni
Travel by train and bus to the town of Uyuni.
Day 23-25 Uyuni/Salt Flats Excursion (2B,3L,2D)
3-day 4×4 excursion to the Uyuni Salt Flats and surrounding desert altiplano with spectacular scenery. Stay in simple hotels upgraded with solar panels to provide electricity and hot water.
Day 26 Potosí
Bus journey from Uyuni to Potosí. Optional excursion to a working silver mine or free time to explore the city.
Day 27-29 Sucre
Continue by bus to Sucre. Optional visit to the nearby dinosaur tracks, or explore the beautiful colonial city.
Day 30-31 Santa Cruz/Puerto Suarez
Fly to Santa Cruz. Travel by overnight train to the Brazilian border at Puerto Suarez.
Day 32-34 Corumbá/Pantanal (2B,2L,2D)
2-day excursion into the wetlands of the Pantanal with a local guide. Opportunities to spot wildlife such as monkeys, macaws, giant otters and caiman.
Day 35-38 Bonito/Iguassu Falls
Travel by van to Bonito. Optional snorkelling excursions in the crystal-clear rivers. Continue by overnight bus to Iguassu Falls, for two full days of exploration from both the Argentine and Brazilian sides. Optional boat ride at the base of the falls or visit a nearby bird park.
Day 39-44 Paraty/Ilha Grande/Rio de Janeiro
Fly to São Paulo and continue by van to Paraty. Optional cachaça distillery visits or take a boat excursion in the bay to some of the nearby islands and beaches. Continue by van up the coast and take a ferry to Ilha Grande. Optional hikes and beach time. Carry on by ferry and van for free time to explore the city using our centrally located hotel in Copacabana as a base. Optional city tour.
Day 45 Rio de Janeiro
Depart at any time. We highly recommend booking pre- and post-accommodations to fully explore these lively cities.
- Nazca desert cemetery and potter’s studio guided tour. Arequipa stay. Colca Canyon and surrounds guided tour. Sacred Valley and Ollantaytambo ruins guided tour with visit to a Planeterra-supported women’s weaving project and lunch at the Planeterra-supported Sacred Valley Community Restaurant in Huchuy Qosco, an indigenous village (full-day). Inca Trail guided hike with cooks and porters (4-day). Planeterra-supported handmade biodegradable soap products for use on the Inca Trail. Machu Picchu guided tour. Floating islands of Uros visit. Lake Titicaca guided tour. 4×4 excursion to the Uyuni Salt Flats (3-day). Pantanal wildlife excursion (2-day). Bonito stay. Iguassu Falls visit (Brazil and Argentina). Beach time on Ilha Grande. Rio de Janeiro stay. Internal flights.
- 8 breakfasts, 10 lunches, 8 dinners. (Allow USD1110-1480 for meals not included.)
- Hotels (33 nts), overnight buses (2 nts), overnight train (1 nt), camping (3 nts), homestay (1 nt), basic hotels on Uyuni Salt Flats excursion (2 nts, multi-share), tented room with hammocks in the Pantanal (2 nts, multi-share).
- Public bus, plane, ferry, train, private van, boat, hiking, 4×4 vehicle.
- Chief Experience Officer (CEO) throughout (except on the local flight from Sucre to Santa Cruz), specialist Inca Trail CEO on hike, local guides.
- Small group experience; Max 16, avg 12